Sunday 10 March 2024

Couple of Minor Jobs - Part 2

I have finished off a load of small jobs that are not really worthy of a post all of their own.

The first was to add an earth strap between the engine and the chassis.  Just to be on the safe side I bought a 50mm2 earth cable (which should cope with 345 Amps), with a 10mm lug on each end from PCS Cables.  This was bolted into a convenient hole in the engine block at the nearside front.  I drilled and tapped a hole in the top of the chassis rail and ground off a bit of the powder coat to ensure a good contact.

Engine Earth Strap 

I also put the final hose finisher on the crankcase breather hose.  The hose finisher that I originally bought is still hiding in the garage somewhere, probably hanging out with a 10mm socket, and laughing at me.

Breather hoses completed!

I have given the front of the radiator a couple of coats of Eastwood Radiator paint in satin black.  The bare aluminium finish was not quite in keeping with the "stealth" look that I have in mind for the finished car.  I should have done this before I installed the radiator onto the chassis, but I managed to mask up most of the front with newspaper and a couple of old blankets to protect everything from any over-spray.

Radiator masked up prior to painting...

...and after painting and masking removed

I have also added oil to the rear differential and the gearbox as it is far easier to do this while access is good rather than leaving (or forgetting) until the body is on.

I bought 2 litres of Castrol Transmax oil which is specially formulated for limited slip differentials and used a funnel and a length of clear PVC tube to fill the differential with oil.  I managed to get almost all of the 2 litres into the differential before the oil started leaking back out of the filler oil.

Differential oil

Funnel and PVC pipe filling arrangement

For the gearbox, I bought 3 litres of Motul Dexron III oil which is the recommended fluid for the Tremec T56 transmission.  I used the same funnel/pipe setup to fill the transmission and again managed to get almost all of the 3 litres in before the oil started weeping out of the filler hole.

Transmission fluid

Filler hole for T56 transmission

I also have finally got around to welding up the various threaded bungs I have added to the chassis for the fuel tank, gearbox and exhaust mounts.  I treated myself to a day welding lesson at The Machine Shop to try and get the hang of TIG welding. I'm still not "stacking dimes" but at least I managed to master the art of getting a bit more heat and penetration into the welds.  As the body will sit on most of the locations of these bungs, I ground them down flush to the chassis rails and then treated them to a couple of coats of POR15 rust preventative paint.

Powdercoat ground off around area to be welded

A dodgy stack of dimes...

...after grinding welds down...

...and after two coats of POR15


No comments:

Post a Comment